It really has me thinking forward. What would the world be like for CD if there were a cure (albeit extreme and expensive)?
The Celiac community has been wandering in the gaps of the medical profession for decades -- this could put us square on it.
- Would people even sign up for a bone marrow transplant to cure their CD? (Not me - but a career baker might?)
- Would the medical profession allow it as too risky for a non-life threatening situation (post diagnosis)?
- Would companies be able to use the cost in business cases to drive other, less invasive or costly treatments?
- Would health insurance companies reimburse for the cure? In lieu of that, would they start reimbursing gluten free food?
- What happens to the Celiac community and the support groups? Do we switch the mission from awareness?
- Do oncologists start coming to support group meetings to drum up business?