Monday, January 26, 2009

20th Houston Marathon - 5:15

Well - let me start by saying that this year's highlight was that a local radio station called and interviewed me about running and celiac. I managed the 20 second plug about celiac being an underdiagnosed condition that people should look into. They also asked me about my 20 year streak and the problems I've run into - training in a cast, breaking a rib one year and so on... Hopefully, they'll send the tape, but it's been a week since the marathon and I'm starting to have doubts.

I was fit and ready, but I think I psyched myself out on this one and went out too fast. I just could not slow down for the first 14 miles, and then I cratered and the next four miles were a misery of walking. Then the nausea lifted and I held pace into the convention center. People tell me that it is unusual to "come back" after a bad spell, and I have to say I'd agree.

I think I've "noted" a few things:
  • Must - Lose - Weight -- My Wii Fit even mocked me this morning by telling me my ideal weight for my height was less than my college weight when I was not absorbing food.
  • Must - Follow - Pace - Band -- I was wearing it - just didn't follow it.
  • Must - Not - Drink - Endurance - Didn't train with it, so why did I go stupid on race day?
  • Must - Do - More - Base - Miles - I've become a master of the "just finish" and this year it really irritated me
The best part is that I finished my 20th consecutive Houston marathon, making me the youngest (I think) double-veteran. I can't wait to order the shirt!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your Marathon, that is something I just don't have the mental capability to do. I've just started to train for my first Duathlon and simultaneously training for the Avon Walk for Beast Cancer (40 mile walk over 2 days). I have celiac and have been looking all over the internet for sources such as you. I've also tried contacting a few celiac advocacy groups telling them that I'd like to help. To date, I haven't received any information. What I want from you are suggestions on how to spread the word about Celiac and Gluten Free on my Duathlon. The Avon Walk has its own cause and fundraising. Thank you for your time and consideration. Monica.

Iron Celiac said...

Thanks Monica. I took some time off after the marathon to recover. Congratulations on your goals. I've seen a number of different ways to raise awareness on races. It depends on how many people you want to reach and it what manner. For example, you could raise money for one of the many Celiac groups around the country - and use that as an excuse to inform your entire email list about it. You could have t-shirts made up or paint a message on your bicycle's disc wheel. You could make some jewelry or buy one of those green awareness bracelets. Just think about what your style is - how you like to communicate and do that. There's no bad approach, and you might save someones life.