Sunday, February 28, 2010

I tore my ACL

Well, no posts for a while usually means things are going really well, or really poorly. This time around it is really poorly.

I was out playing "driveway tennis" with my son when my foot caught up in the tree roots at the back of the driveway. Man, did that hurt. I have never wanted to get away from a body part so badly. Thing is, the part (and the pain) comes with you.

Well, an xray and MRI told me what I already knew from the popping noise. I've spent the last two weeks trying to keep up at work (not so successful), and manage the swelling (not so successful).

When you lose a functional knee and are in constant pain, it is amazing how your focus changes to getting out of pain and figuring out how to do really basic things like putting on a sock and personal hygiene. It's really nice to have two young, homeschooled kids to run around and carry things for me.

Never mind that moving around on crutches is a workout all by itself. I haven't done a proper "workout" since the fateful day. Saturday I said to myself, "It's been two weeks, get on that bicycle and stop feeling sorry for yourself." So I pumped up the tires, laboriously pulled on my cycling shoes, clipped in left foot, gingerly swung my right leg over and clipped in. Success!

Then I tried pedaling. Of course my left foot worked just fine, but my right knee didn't want to bend. So I tried backwards, then forwards. Each time my knee bent a hair more and with heavy exhalations I managed a full rotation. After about 20 I was done. Or so I thought. I couldn't clip out! Laughing at myself, I had to call one of my kids up to loosen my foot strap so I could slide my foot out and escape. Maybe next time I'll bring a crowbar...

Anway, I have some truly spectacular pictures of the swelling and bruising, which I may post at some point. I'll keep intermittent posts on how the rehab progresses.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Ugghhh...I'm so sorry to hear about your ACL! It's a tough injury! Take it easy, I was back running after about a month, it took me much longer to get back on the bike. Yoga has been a godsend, I'm telling you after a year and half of on and off pain, I'm virtually pain free and I swear it has everything to do with my yoga practice!

Erin E Lyon-GF Fitness said...

Dang! That's no good! Between being a PT and having more than my fair share of knee surgeries, I can feel your pain. Literally.
Was it a complete tear? Are you looking into a repair?
Either way-this too will pass. It's been my experience and observation that the psychological impact of being an injured athlete is as great as the physical impact. Ice, gentle motion. Rinse, repeat. Hang in there and best wishes!

Iron Celiac said...

I think the doctor is thinking surgery as it appears to be a complete tear, so hopefully we can fix it. I'll know more tomorrow after we talk about options. Thanks for the kind and caring comments.