Sunday, January 13, 2013

Houston Marathon in 5:45:09

So good to finish one inside the time limit.  Had a similar training year to last year.  Last year, the weather was perfect.  This year, not so much.  The first two or three miles was a cold downpour.  I'm so glad that the new fabrics they have dry out.  After about mile 10, I was running pretty dry.

The miles clipped by pretty well.  I did a run/walk combo similar to my training efforts and was able to sustain the last half that way.

Many years, the sense of accomplishment doesn't really sink in at the finish line for me.  The feelings I have are more around relief from the pain or satisfaction.  This year was very different.  I think that last year taught me that one of the reasons I do marathons is that they are hard and that your race in some degree does depend on the events of the day and your God-given gifts.  Last year - perfect weather, lousy finish.  This year, lousy (start) weather and good finish.  I was very thankful to have this one.

I finished this year in much better spirits than last year and signed up for some online training.

No comments: