Monday, March 12, 2007

Two off days in a row...

Last week, I was at church and one of friends said, "That race is today." She'd mentioned it before, and I hadn't committed. I felt pretty strong and figured, "Well - a hard 5k could substitute for 45 minutes easy..." Let me just say that they do not.

It was quite possibly the latest I had ever signed up for a fun run. I got caught in the typical I-10 traffic and made it to the registration table with barely a moment to spare. I quickly filled in a blank or two, signed the waiver and ran to the start line. I was so late the national anthem caught me between the table and the start line. After a hard 23.22 5K, I collected my shirt and was off (on vacation). Only just now did I find out I was second in my age group - had I put my age down on the form! Whoops!

I was pretty happy with the time. Even though it was slower than last year's - it came pretty close to the marathon in January (they had moved the race earlier in the year) and more important, it was my sixth relatively hard workout of the week. This last Sunday, it all caught up with me so I took the day off. Today too.

2 comments:

sunrunner said...

Congrats on your great race, Michael!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.