Monday, December 10, 2007

Disney workout

Last week I went with my family to Disneyworld, which I can recommend for those interested in keeping their base strong while vacationing "gluten free." Disney is more or less know for their ability to come up with a gluten-free solution at pretty much any place with a kitchen, which was good news. The children's meal plan is a little less congenial, but they were still able to come up with substitutions most of the time.

As with anywhere else, the key is to plan ahead. Disney has far overscheduled their restaurants, so you need to get reservations at the restaurants where you are planning to eat waaaayyyy ahead of time. Thank goodness for the French restaurant at Epcot that took pity on us when my sister decided she didn't "like" Moroccan -- the only restaurant we could get into on our first day. When my sister vetoed a restaurant based on preference vs. dietary need, it made me realize how flexible I'd become. I'll eat pretty much anywhere I can snag some GF food.

In terms of working out, my family thought it was wonderful that I would jog all over the park(s) with our cards to get "Fast Passes" -- I did, too. It's the first decent set of workouts I've had in weeks thanks to my schedule at work. It turns out an Ironman is pretty good training for Disneyworld. I was getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night and loving it.

No comments: