Thursday, October 23, 2008

Flu shot - tip for better running

I got my flu shot today. It's one key tactic I have that helps me get to the marathon start line every year. It's been a long time ago now, but I read somewhere that in Canada, they recommend that immune compromised people should get a shot. They also recommend that Celiacs get a shot.

There must be something to it, because at work, I get them for free and my employer has surely run the numbers. So the strategy is to feel a little crummy now, with the idea that if the flu is going around in January, it will miss or "lightly hit" me, and I will still be able to race. (I suppose I will also have to work that week, but it's a good trade-off.)

I think the better part of the deal is I can be slightly less paranoid in the days leading up to the race. I know runners who won't shake hands the last week before a race. They should get a life. The time to not shake hands is after the marathon. That's when you're the most worn down and likely to get sick.

No comments: