Wednesday, January 24, 2007

FDA sucker punch...

The FDA has released their guidance on having a gluten free label, allowing 20 ppm - without much science to go on. I don't know about you, but in my book, "Free" means "with none" - so if this regulation goes into effect, I won't be able to trust "Gluten-Free" labels either.

In my opinion, the FDA is conducting another mass experiment on the population. I work hard enough to keep gluten out of my diet. I don't need the FDA confusing the food service industry by saying that "when you are serving Celiacs, some gluten is okay, after all, it says Gluten-Free on the label and it has 20 ppm." For those of us who are diagnosed, the FDA is guaranteeing a minimum level of environmental gluten in our food chain. Gee, thanks. Maybe we can get the EPA to guarantee a minimum level of hazardous waste on your computer keyboard.

You can read the document for yourself here.


In other news, I did my first workout on schedule today, and I have another volunteer for the Celiac Awareness Race/Walk in May.

No comments: