Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Craving Something Sweet?

I went out today for a 6 mile run with my kids, and that was nice. It's the first time I've been outside the house running during the week since my wreck.

I told my wife I was craving something sweet, and she reminded me about our recent trip to Anderson, Texas. We were out with some friends and when they suggested dinner at a local eatery, I had to explain about my gluten-free diet. Well, after going to great lengths to explain to the staff about how I couldn't have any wheat, barley, rye or oats, or any of the derivatives, I settled on a steak and potato. That went well, and once dessert time rolled around, I asked them if they had any gluten-free desserts. Imagine my surprise when they said that the strawberry cake wouldn't have any wheat in it! My wife ordered one, and when it came out, it was pretty clear that it was cake.

Not one to pass up a dessert, I asked her what kind of flour they used to make the cake. She replied, "Oh, there's no flour in there. She used cake mix." It was everything we could do to not bust out laughing.

No comments: